Saturday, February 23, 2013

In the thick of it...

Ok, I have an admission...I'm in the middle of a furniture project that I am so OVER.

I've gotten in too deep to give and up and I would cry if I had to throw in the towel hand and hand this bad boy over to someone else.

I've been searching for just the right size piece to use in our master bath and this sexy beast fits the mold perfectly. Not to mention I got it for a song! Ever the perfectionist I thought it needed a little customization before it took its rightful place in the throne room.

Here it is in all it's glory before I took to it with the stripper.

 So pretty! I wish I could rewind time and just stick this thing in the bathroom. But we all know that's not happening!

I'm not sure why I decided this piece need to be stripped before I started using it. Sometimes I try to do things the "right" way and end up giving myself way more work than I have time for!

Sorry for the dark picture. Not sure the furntiure maker but this is not the original paint. It was painted pink then the creamy white you see here. The hardware is not original but that is one of the reasons I LOVE this piece. 

Greek key hardware close-up!


OK...shield your eyes. This is where things go wrong.

Try

not

to 

scream

when

you 

see 

the

horror.

My poor sexy piece now looks like it has Leprosy! I used Citristrip and I have nothing bad to say about it. The fumes are tolerable and it is very easy to work with. The problem lies in the faux bamboo details.

I mean come on! How to do you get two layers of paint outta those crevaces?!?! Ahhh!

And the fact that the pink paint does NOT want to remove itself from this piece is making for very slow going. Now the hubby has given me a time limit on getting this piece into the house. Nothing like the threat of a beloved vintage piece of furniture being pried from my hands to be taken to the dump or goodwill!

I'm hoping for an end goal of something like this:

Painted Bamboo Curio Cabinet,  painting a very similar piece the same color combo 

With a little detailing like this:
Redford House Faux Bamboo Nightstand 

 Paint has been purchased and once the prep work is done it should be smooth sailing.
Wish me luck!
 
XOXO,
Rebekah


No comments:

Post a Comment